History

In the fall of 1958, a young pastor arrived in Saskatoon, having accepted a call from the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church, to begin mission work on the east side of Saskatoon. With only a few prospective members, he began inviting people in the community to join in the fellowship of the Lutheran mission church. Initially, worship services were held at the Lutheran Seminary, but within months construction began on a new facility. In 1959 Redeemer Lutheran Church was officially opened at Preston Avenue and Main Street, with 46 charter members. By 1963, a self-sustaining congregation of 400 baptized members had outgrown the facility and expansion plans commenced. Shortly thereafter the congregation merged with Gethsemane Lutheran Church increasing baptized members by another 200. The new building was completed in 1968, and additional renovations were undertaken and completed in 1986.

A friendly, caring and dynamic Christian community has evolved and grown over the past 46 years, continuing to respond to God's call in a myriad of ways, including greater involvement of youth and women, innovations in parish education and worship life, stewardship and outreach ministry.

Redeemer Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Saskatchewan Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.